Welsh Rarebit Croustades with Plum Tomatoes offers a crunchy treat for guests: Melba toast topped with a flavorful cheese mixture and fresh tomato slices.
Welsh Rarebit Croustades with Plum Tomatoes
- 18 (⅛-inch-thick) slices plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup beer or ale
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 (8-ounce) block sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 18 Melba toast rounds
- Garnish: fresh Italian parsley leaves
- In a small bowl, combine tomatoes, olive oil, salt, and black pepper, tossing gently to coat.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour; cook for 2 to 3 minutes, whisking constantly. Gradually add beer or ale and chicken broth, whisking until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens, 2 to 3 minutes more. Reduce heat to low; add cheese, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and cayenne pepper. Stir until cheese is melted and smooth.
- To assemble, place a tomato slice on each Melba round. Spoon cheese mixture onto tomato slices. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
For more tea recipes to fit any season, see the Tea Pleasures 2019 issue, available on newsstands and at Victoriamag.com.