Charm guests with Triple-Layer Chocolate Cake, a pièce de résistance crowned with buttercream frosting, rich ganache, berries, and a sprinkling of delicate blossoms.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2½ cups cake flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream
- Chocolate Frosting (recipe follows)
- Ganache (recipe follows)
- Garnish: fresh berries, flowers
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Spray 3 (9-inch) cake pans with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternately with buttermilk and vanilla extract, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Stir in sour cream.
- Pour batter into prepared pans, and bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 13 to 17 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread Chocolate Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. To create a border for Ganache, spread frosting slightly above top edge of cake and do not smooth down. Refrigerate frosted cake for 30 minutes. Pour Ganache over center of cake, and slightly turn cake to spread to edges. Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Garnish with berries and flowers before serving, if desired.
- 12 (1-ounce) squares bittersweet chocolate*, chopped
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a medium saucepan, heat chocolate and butter over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until mixture is melted and smooth. Remove from heat, and let cool for 45 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat cooled chocolate mixture and sour cream with a mixer at low speed until combined. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar and salt, beating until smooth. Use immediately.
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate*, chopped
- In a wide, microwave-safe bowl, heat cream on high until steaming, about 1 minute. Add chocolate and whisk to combine. Use warm.
Text Melissa Lester
Photography Marcy Black Simpson
Styling Melissa Sturdivant Smith
Recipe Development and Food Styling Elizabeth Stringer
For more mouthwatering desserts, see “L’Amour de Chocolat” on page 33 of the January/February 2018 issue of Victoria.