Roast Beef Tea Sandwiches with Horseradish Cream
Makes 8 sandwiches
- 8 slices wheat bread
- 1 recipe Horseradish Cream (recipe follows)
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1/4 pound thin deli-sliced roast beef
- 1 English cucumber, peeled into thin strips
For Horseradish Cream
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese,
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Trim crusts from bread slices. Spread 4 bread slices with Horseradish Cream. Layer each with a slice of cheese. Divide roast beef among bread slices. Top with remaining 4 bread slices.
- Cut each sandwich into 2 (3x11/2-inch) fingers. Wrap each sandwich finger with a cucumber peel.
For Horseradish Cream
- In a small bowl, and using a mixer at medium speed, beat cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Add horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper, stirring to combine. Store, refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Makes 16 sandwiches
- 16 slices pumpernickel bread
- 5 boiled eggs, peeled and divided
- 3/4 cup finely chopped green olives
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Garnish: fresh dill sprigs
- Cut bread into 31/2-inch squares, removing crusts and discarding scraps.
- Finely chop 4 eggs.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, olives, mayonnaise, mustard, and dill.
- Divide mixture evenly among 8 bread squares. Top with remaining 8 bread squares. Cut each sandwich in half diagonally.
- Garnish with remaining 1 egg, sliced, and dill sprigs, if desired.
Smoked-Salmon Tea Sandwiches
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 8 slices white bread
- 2 (3-ounce) packages smoked salmon
- 8 slices pancetta, cooked
- Garnish: fresh oregano
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and sour cream. Add dill, stirring to combine; set aside.
- Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut 2 rounds from each bread slice. Using same cutter, cut 8 rounds from salmon.
- Spread approximately 1/2 teaspoon mayonnaise mixture onto each of 8 bread rounds. Top each with 1 slice pancetta, another bread round, and salmon. Garnish with oregano, if desired.