Emerald-hued accents complement the regional flavors highlighted in a teatime menu, planned to commemorate St. Patrick’s Day. Observed annually on March 17, the holiday originated in the seventeenth century as a religious festival honoring the patron saint of Ireland but has become an international celebration of the country’s rich cultural heritage. Sample a traditional scone recipe perfect for the Irish-at-heart. See more St. Patrick’s Day recipe ideas and inspiration at TeaTime magazine, or purchase their book Tea Celebrations.
Irish Soda Scones
Write a review
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold salted butter
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole buttermilk
- Lingonberry jam* (optional)
- Clotted cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt, whisking until combined. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add currants and caraway seeds, stirring to combine. Add buttermilk, stirring until a soft dough forms. (If mixture seems dry, add more buttermilk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is uniformly moist.)
- Using a levered 3 tablespoon scoop, drop dough onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until edges are light golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, approximately 15 minutes.
- Serve with lingonberry jam and clotted cream, if desired.
- *Lingonberries are related to cranberries. Lingonberry jam can be found at specialty-food stores and online. Substitute for a favorite jam, if desired.
i like victoria because i have a daughter named , her name is victoria sweet soft woman
I eagerly await the arrival of my Tea Time & Victoria Magazines in the mail. The wonderful article on women’s businesses, clever ways to decorate and all the scrumptious recipes to make! I have saved every Victoria issue since 1992 & Tea Time since it began, they give me so much pleasure keep them coming I am waiting!