Indulge in the tastes of the local coffeehouse without ever leaving the sublime comforts of your home. A clean and creamy twist to the classic winter beverage, our Spiced White Hot Chocolate pairs perfectly with crisp, sugary Stroopwafels, delicate sandwich cookies with caramel filling.
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- 2 (4-ounce) bars white chocolate, chopped
- Garnish: sweetened whipped cream, ground cinnamon, cinnamon sticks
- In a large saucepan, heat milk, cream, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods and seeds, cloves, vanilla bean, and vanilla bean seeds over medium heat just until bubbles form around edges of pan (do not boil). Remove from heat, and let steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, discarding solids.
- Return milk mixture to pan, and stir in chopped white chocolate. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until white chocolate is melted and mixture is heated through. Garnish servings with whipped cream, ground cinnamon, and cinnamon sticks, if desired.
For more cozy winter recipes, see “A Cup of Coziness” in the January/February 2019 issue, available on newsstands and at Victoriamag.com.