This delicious Sour-Cream Cake with Whipped Vanilla Frosting is a special treat.
Sour-Cream Cake with Whipped Vanilla Frosting
Makes 1 (8-inch) 3-layer cake
Write a review
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Whipped Vanilla Frosting (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 3 (8-inch) pans with baking spray with flour; line with parchment paper, and spray again; set aside.
- In a large bowl and using a mixer at medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until creamy, about 4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, and scraping down bowl as necessary.
- In a small bowl, whisk together half-and-half, sour cream, and vanilla extract; set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on lowest speed, add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with half-and-half mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted near the centers comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread Whipped Vanilla Frosting evenly between bottom and middle layers. Spread frosting evenly over middle layer. Add top layer, and spread a smooth frosting layer on top and sides of cake. Place remaining frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a large rose-petal tip.* With narrow end of tip facing outward, hold bag vertical to cake. Beginning at the bottom and working upward, pipe a strip of frosting, using a zigzag motion, approximately 1 to 11/2 inches in diameter. Repeat until sides of cake are covered in a ribbon fashion. To decorate the top, hold bag vertical, with wide end facing outward, and pipe frosting, using a zigzag motion, around the top, making a 1- to 11/2-inch border.
- *For testing purposes, our test kitchen used Ateco stainless-steel decorating tip #126.
Whipped Vanilla Frosting
Makes 10 cups
Write a review
- 12 egg whites
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped, seeds reserved
- 3 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- 4 cups unsalted butter, cubed and softened
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine egg whites, sugar, reserved vanilla seeds, and vanilla extract.
- Place bowl over a pot of simmering water. Whisk constantly until mixture registers 140° on an instant-read candy thermometer, about 3 minutes.
- Place bowl on stand mixer, and, using whip attachment, beat at high speed until mixture is cooled and glossy, about 15 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low; add butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Use immediately, or refrigerate for up to 1 week. If stored, bring to room temperature, and beat until smooth.