Treasure the company of dear ones who gather to sample a feast of sentimental favorites, including our Red Velvet Scones with Cream Cheese Glaze, certain to cause hearts to flutter.
Red Velvet Scones with Cream Cheese Glaze
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ¾ cup cream, egg, food coloring, and vanilla extract. Pour cream mixture into flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened; dough will be sticky.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ½-inch thickness. Using a heart-shaped cutter, cut scones; place on prepared pans. Brush tops evenly with remaining 1 tablespoon cream.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool for at least 10 minutes. Frost with Cream Cheese Glaze, and serve warm or at room temperature.
Cream Cheese Glaze
Makes approximately ¾ cup
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and cream with a mixer at low speed until smooth.
For more tea recipes to fit any season, see the Tea Pleasures 2019 issue, available on newsstands and at Victoriamag.com.