Crumbled cookies add delightful crunch to tantalizing swirls of citrus and cream in this Lemon Shortbread Fool.
Lemon Shortbread Fool
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup limoncello
- 4 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 (5.3-ounce) packages shortbread cookies, crumbled
- Garnish: crumbled shortbread cookies
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, limoncello, eggs, and egg yolk. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat, and whisk in butter until melted.
- Pour mixture into a heatproof bowl; cover with plastic wrap, pressing wrap over surface of curd to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- In a large bowl, beat cream with a mixer at medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Add lemon curd and crumbled cookies, swirling mixture with a knife.
- Spoon mixture into individual serving dishes; garnish with crumbled cookies, if desired.
Text Melissa Lester
Photography Mac Jamieson
Styling Melissa Sturdivant Smith
Recipe Development and Food Styling Rebecca Treadwell Spradling
For more Wordsworthian inspiration, see “Among the Daffodils” on page 31 of the March/April 2018 issue.