Drizzles of creamed honey add sweetness to Lemon and Lavender Scones—sublime with smooth lemon curd.
Lemon and Lavender Scones with Lemon Curd
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cold salted butter
- 2 teaspoons dried culinary lavender
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lemon Curd (recipe follows)
- Garnish: creamed honey, dried lavender flowers
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add dried lavender and lemon zest, stirring well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cream, egg, and vanilla extract. Add cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring to combine. Continue to bring dough together with hands. (If mixture seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until uniformly moist.)
- On a lightly floured surface, turn out dough and knead lightly 3 to 4 times. Roll dough to approximately 8-inches round and ½-inch thickness. Cut into 8 rectangles. Place on prepared pan.
- Bake until edges are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 13 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely.
- Serve with Lemon Curd. Garnish with creamed honey and lavender flowers, if desired.
Makes approximately ¾ cup
- 3 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ¼ cup strained lemon juice
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, cubed
- In a small heavy saucepan, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice until blended. Add butter; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is very thick and a thermometer reads at least 175, about 10 minutes. Do not let boil. Immediately remove from heat.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl. Press plastic wrap onto surface, and let cool for 15 minutes. Refrigerate until serving, at least 1 hour.
For more recipes highlighting this culinary duo, see “Lemon & Lavender” in the May/June 2020 issue, available at victoriamag.com.