This tantalizing Honey Crème Fraîche Cake is decadently layered with Honey Crème Filling and crowned with Spiced Apricots.
Honey Crème Fraîche Cake
Makes 1 (8-inch) 2-layer cake
Write a review
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup castor sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange blossom honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons cake flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup crème fraîche
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange blossom water
- 1 recipe Honey Crème Filling (recipe follows)
- 1 recipe Spiced Apricots (recipe follows)
Honey Crème Filling
- 3/4 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup honey, divided
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/2 cups Lillet
- 1 cup orange blossom honey
- Zest of 1 orange
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise in half
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1/4 piece fresh nutmeg
- 1 (16-ounce) package dried apricots
- Preheat oven to 325°. Spray 2 (8-inch) round cake pans with baking spray with flour; line with parchment rounds, and spray again; set aside.
- In a large bowl and using a mixer at high speed, beat together butter, sugar, and honey for about 4 minutes, or until light and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and cardamom; set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together crème fraîche, zest, vanilla extract, and orange blossom water.
- With mixer at lowest speed, add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with crème fraîche mixture; beat until combined.
- Evenly spoon batter into prepared pans, tapping to level, if necessary. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until wooden picks inserted near centers come out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread Honey Crème Filling onto one layer of cake; top with remaining layer. Top with Spiced Apricots.
Honey Crème Filling
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream and 2 tablespoons honey. Using a mixer at high speed, beat until medium-stiff peaks form; chill.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese and remaining honey until smooth. Fold into whipped cream; chill for 2 hours.
- Combine Lillet, honey, orange zest, lemon zest, vanilla bean, anise, cloves, cardamom pods, and nutmeg in a medium saucepan. Simmer over medium-high heat for approximately 25 to 30 minutes, or until thickened. Add apricots; cover and cool completely. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 1 week.