Two dozen paper-thin French pancakes form our towering Crêpe Cake with Coconut Filling. This sight to behold offers the pièce de résistance for any celebration.
Crêpe Cake with Coconut Filling
Makes 1 (8-inch) cake
Write a review
- 9 large eggs, room temperature and lightly beaten
- 1¼ cups half-and-half
- 1¼ cups coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoons coconut extract
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled, divided
- Coconut Filling (recipe follows)
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar and coconut curls
- (Makes approximately 9 cups)
- 1½ (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1½ (4-ounce) packages crème fraîche
- ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1½ cups cream of coconut
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In the container of a blender, place eggs, half-and-half, coconut milk, vanilla extract, coconut extract, flour, sugar, and salt; process until combined. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat an 8-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons melted butter to coat bottom of pan. Spoon 1⁄3 cup batter into skillet; cook for 45 seconds to 1 minute. Using a spatula, loosen crêpe, and carefully turn over. Cook for 15 to 30 seconds; transfer to a wire rack to let cool. Repeat procedure with remaining batter and melted butter to make 18 to 24 crêpes. Store crêpes between layers of parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- Spread approximately ½ cup Coconut Filling to within ½ inch of edge of crêpe. Repeat with remaining filling and crêpes, ending with crêpe. Garnish with confectioners’ sugar and coconut curls, if desired. Serve immediately. Cake can be stored, covered, in refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and crème fraîche with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add confectioners’ sugar, and beat until creamy. Add cream of coconut and vanilla extract, and beat until combined. Add whipped topping, and continue to beat until smooth. Store, covered, in refrigerator for up to 3 days.