Delight guests with a visual treat in Creamy Chicken Morsels in Beggar’s Purses. Wonton wrappers hide a rich, melty center sure to warm the heart.
Creamy Chicken Morsels in Beggar’s Purses
Makes 30 beggar’s purses
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 30 wonton wrappers
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- Garnish: blanched chives*
- In a large sauté pan, melt butter in 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, salt, and pepper; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add cream cheese, stirring until melted. Add chicken, stirring until combined. Remove from heat, and let cool for 5 minutes.
- To assemble, brush edges of a wonton wrapper with water; spoon a rounded teaspoon of filling onto center of wrapper. Pull edges up to enclose filling and form a beggar’s purse. Repeat procedure with remaining wonton wrappers and filling.
- In a separate large sauté pan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Place beggar’s purses in pan, and cook until bottoms are lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add chicken broth, and cover pan with lid. Cook until wonton wrappers are tender, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly, and garnish with chives, if desired.
*To blanch chives, cook for about 10 seconds in simmering water, or microwave for about 15 seconds in a paper towel. Chives will be delicate, so preparing extra allows for breakage.