Fresh blueberries are one of summer’s favorite offerings. Enjoy them at their plump and juicy best in our delectable double-crust Blueberry Pie that smells as divine as it tastes. Mixed with sugar and lemon juice, the filling includes a surprising dash of black pepper.
Makes 1 double-crust (9-inch) pie or 12 (4-inch) tarts*
Write a review
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
- 2/3 cup ice-cold water
- In the work bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade, combine flour, sugar, and salt; pulse to blend. Add butter, and pulse until crumbly.
- With food processor running, add water, and pulse until mixture comes together. Remove, and form into a disk. Wrap with plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 2 hours, and remove 15 minutes prior to using.
- *Recipe can be divided in half to make 1 single-crust (9-inch) pie or 6 (4-inch) tarts.
Makes 1 double-crust (8-inch) pie
Write a review
- Basic Piecrust (see preceding recipe)
- 5 cups fresh blueberries
- 11/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 350˚. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut a 10-inch round from dough. Place round in bottom and up sides of an 8-inch pie pan; set aside. Roll remaining dough, and cut a 10-inch round; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla extract; using a wooden spoon, press berries to break skins.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, salt, and pepper. Sift flour mixture over fruit mixture, and stir to combine. Spoon mixture into pie pan; top with remaining dough round, crimping edges.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and water. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat crust with egg wash. Bake for 30 minutes; cover with foil, and continue baking for an additional 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Pie can be stored, refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 3 days.