Perfect for a Christmastime tea celebration, these White Chocolate Peppermint Scones with Candy Cane Cream are sure to offer tidings of comfort and joy to guests who come to call during the holidays.
White Chocolate Peppermint Scones with Candy Cane Cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, diced
- ¾ cup white chocolate morsels
- ½ cup peppermint baking chips*
- ¾ cup chilled buttermilk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon French vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- Candy Cane Cream (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 400˚. Lightly coat a baking sheet with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, ⅓ cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add butter. Using hands, combine until butter is reduced to coarse crumbs. Stir in white chocolate morsels and peppermint baking chips.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg yolk, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients; stir until dough comes together in moist clumps. Gather dough into a ball, and knead 2 to 3 times.
- On a lightly floured surface, turn out dough and pat to an 8-inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges. Place at least 1 inch apart on prepared pan. Lightly sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake until light golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve with Candy Cane Cream.
*Crushed candy canes can be substituted for peppermint baking chips if this seasonal item is not available.
Candy Cane Cream
Makes approximately 1½ cups
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup crushed candy canes
- In a large bowl, beat cream with a mixer at medium-high speed until medium peaks form. Add candy and beat until stiff peaks form.