This exclusive recipe from Shannon Grochowski includes fresh-baked ladyfingers encircling decadent layers of pistachio cake, strawberry mousse, chocolate ganache, and fresh berries.
Strawberry Rose Charlotte
- 5 eggs, room temperature, separated
- ¾ cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon rose oil
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Pistachio Cake:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup pistachio flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamon (optional)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pistachio paste
- Strawberry Mousse Filling:
- 1½ pounds fresh strawberries
- ⅓ cup plus ¼ cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon rose oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pink food coloring (optional)
- Chocolate Ganache:
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup honey
- 7 ounces dark chocolate (70% to 74%)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- Garnish: ribbon, fresh strawberries, jam
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- For ladyfingers: In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks with a mixer at medium speed. Gradually beat all but 1½ teaspoons granulated sugar into yolks until pale and creamy, 3 to 5 minutes. Using a spatula, fold flour into mixture until incorporated.
- In a separate medium bowl, beat egg whites and salt with a mixer, beginning at a low speed. Add remaining 1½ teaspoons sugar and rose oil. In increments, increase mixer speed until stiff peaks form.
- Using a separate spatula, fold egg whites into yolk mixture until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Spoon batter into a piping bag fitted with a ¾-inch decorating tip.
- Pipe batter onto prepared pan in 3½-inch ladyfingers. Dust with a sprinkling of confectioners’ sugar
- Bake until golden, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Set aside or freeze until ready to use.
- For cake: Preheat oven to 350º. Lightly grease an 8-inch cake pan with butter.
- Sift all-purpose flour, pistachio flour, salt, and cardamom into a medium bowl.
- In the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes, pausing to scrape down sides of bowl.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat after each addition until fully blended. Add vanilla extract and
- pistachio paste; continue to beat until fully combined.
- Add flour mixture and blend until combined. Do not overbeat. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Using a cake slicer or serrated knife, cut cake in half horizontally.
- For mousse: In a large saucepan, cook strawberries over medium heat until smooth; blend with an immersion blender or blender. Add ⅓ cup sugar and bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together gelatin and lemon juice; let stand until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add gelatin mixture to strawberry mixture, and cook, stirring constantly, until gelatin dissolves. Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream with remaining ¼ cup sugar with a mixer at medium speed until stiff peaks form. If desired, add rose oil and food coloring; beat 1 minute more.
- Fold strawberry purée into whipped cream until combined.
- For ganache: In a medium saucepan, bring cream and honey just to a boil over medium heat; immediately pour cream mixture over chocolate, and let sit for 3 minutes. Whisk well. Add butter and whisk until smooth.
- To assemble: Line an 8-inch cake pan with plastic wrap, letting excess extend over sides of pan. Place one cake layer inside, and smooth down sides of plastic wrap. Spread strawberry mousse over cake; top with remaining cake layer. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Using excess plastic wrap as handles, remove from pan and transfer cake to a wire rack set over a sheet pan. Pour ganache over top until it drizzles over completely; spread evenly with a spatula. Before ganache sets, press lady fingers around sides of cake, making sure they adhere. Tie a ribbon around charlotte and top with strawberries glazed with jam, if desired.
Note: For cake, all-purpose flour can be substituted for pistachio flour. For garnish, glaze fresh strawberries with any light-colored jam.
To learn more about Shannon Grochowski’s life in Burgundy, see “Amid the Tranquil Meadows” on page 45 of the May/June 2020 issue, available on newsstands and at Victoriamag.com.