Relish the sweet and tangy flavors of Strawberry-Apricot Tarts. Laced with brown sugar and spices, the filling is spooned into individual tart shells, sprinkled with buttery Oatmeal Crumble topping, and baked until lusciously toasty.
Makes 1 double-crust (9-inch) pie or 12 (4-inch) tarts*
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
- 2/3 cup ice-cold water
- In the work bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade, combine flour, sugar, and salt; pulse to blend. Add butter, and pulse until crumbly.
- With food processor running, add water, and pulse until mixture comes together. Remove, and form into a disk. Wrap with plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 2 hours, and remove 15 minutes prior to using.
- *Recipe can be divided in half to make 1 single-crust (9-inch) pie or 6 (4-inch) tarts.
Strawberry-Apricot Tarts with Oatmeal Crumble
Makes 6 tarts
- Basic Piecrust (see preceding recipe)
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and cut in half
- 2 cups fresh apricots, peeled, pitted, and cut into quarters
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour, sifted
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Oatmeal Crumble (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 5-inch round cutter, cut 6 rounds from dough. Place rounds in bottoms and up sides of 6 (4-inch) tart pans. Line dough with parchment paper, and secure with pie weights. Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned; remove from oven, and let cool completely. Remove pie weights and parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries, apricots, brown sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and mace. Allow mixture to macerate for 20 minutes; strain, and discard juice. Sift tapioca flour and cornstarch over fruit mixture; stir to combine.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tart shells. Sprinkle each tart with approximately 3 tablespoons Oatmeal Crumble. Bake until mixture is bubbly and crumble mixture is golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool slightly, and serve warm. Tarts can be stored, refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Makes 11/2 cups
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons melted butter
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, flour, and salt. Add butter, and stir until mixture is combined and moist. Use immediately, or store, refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 1 week.