Write a review
- 4 Bosc or Bartlett pears
- 1 bottle (750-ml) hearty red wine, such as Zinfandel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Peel of 1/2 orange
- Peel of 1/2 lemon
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cardamom pods
- 5 peppercorns
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 drops red food coloring (optional)
- Garnish: 4 bay leaves
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel pears. Place pears in a medium saucepan, trimming bottoms if necessary to help pears stand up on their own.
- Add the wine, cinnamon stick, orange peel, lemon peel, bay leaves, cardamom pods, peppercorns, sugar, and food coloring, if using. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer until pears are tender, 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on ripeness.
- Remove pears from saucepan and set aside to cool. Bring cooking liquid to a boil, and cook until thickened, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Garnish each pear with a fresh bay leaf and serve with sauce.