Generously sized Parmesan-black pepper phyllo croutons add pleasing crunch to Spanakopita Salad, a colorful medley of vegetables and herbs tossed with zesty lemon-feta vinaigrette.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 (10-ounce) bag fresh baby spinach
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh parsley leaves
- ½ cup lightly packed fresh dill
- ½ cup toasted pine nuts
- Lemon-Feta Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- Parmesan–Black Pepper Phyllo Croutons (recipe follows)
- In a large bowl, combine spinach, green onions, tomatoes, parsley, dill, and pine nuts. Add desired amount of Lemon-Feta Vinaigrette; toss to coat. Arrange salad on serving plates; nestle Parmesan–Black Pepper Phyllo Croutons among greens. Serve immediately.
Makes approximately 1¼ cups
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup finely crumbled feta cheese
- In a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, and shallot; let stand for 15 minutes. Whisk in oregano, mustard, and honey until combined. Whisking constantly, gradually add olive oil in a slow, steady stream until mixture is combined. Stir in cheese. Use immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Whisk before serving.
Parmesan–Black Pepper Phyllo Croutons
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 12 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1½ cups finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400˚. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough in an even layer on prepared pan. Brush with melted butter, and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese and approximately ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Repeat procedure 11 times with remaining phyllo, melted butter, cheese, and pepper. Cut stacked phyllo into 2-inch squares or diamonds.
- Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
For more seaside recipes, see “A Fête by the Shore” in the July/August 2018 issue, available in the online shop at Victoriamag.com.