Smoked Turkey with Cranberry Relish Tea Sandwiches lend seasonal charm to your afternoon tea savories course.
Smoked Turkey with Cranberry Relish Tea Sandwiches
- 12 slices white bread*, frozen
- ½ pound oven-roasted turkey breast, thinly sliced
- Cranberry Relish (recipe follows)
- Garnish: sliced fresh cranberries, rosemary sprigs
- Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut 24 rounds of bread and 12 rounds of turkey.
- Top half of bread rounds with turkey and Cranberry Relish; cover with remaining half of bread rounds. Cover with damp paper towels, and refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with cranberry slices and rosemary, if desired.
Makes approximately ½ cup
- ½ teaspoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons pineapple tidbits
- 1½ teaspoons pineapple juice*
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1½ teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ cup whole-berry cranberry sauce*
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together pineapple juice, lemon juice, and cornstarch.
- To saucepan, add cranberry sauce, lemon zest, pineapples, cloves, ginger, salt, and pepper; stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil, and stir in cornstarch mixture. Continue to boil, stirring frequently, until mixture reaches 200º on an instant-read thermometer and has thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a heatproof bowl, and let cool on a wire rack, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use.
*We used pineapple juice reserved from pineapple tidbits and Ocean Spray Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce.
For more recipes from this brilliant table, see “Blue & White Teatime” in the November/December 2019 issue, available at Victoriamag.com.