When presented with Serrano Ham and Pecorino Cheese Sandwiches—tied with baker’s twine and finished with velvety sage leaves—guests anticipate delicious surprises. Pear preserves and a dash of cayenne pepper highlight sage aïoli, spread thickly upon slices of crusty French baguette. Layers of cured Spanish ham, sharp Italian cheese, and baby spinach complement the herb-infused mayonnaise.
- 2 French baguettes, cut into 3 sections each
- 1 cup Sage Aïoli (recipe follows)
- 2 (4-ounce) packages Serrano ham
- 1 (4-ounce) wedge pecorino cheese, sliced
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- Using a serrated knife, halve each baguette segment lengthwise. Spread cut surfaces with Sage Aïoli. Top bottom half of baguettes with ham, cheese, spinach, and top half of baguettes. Serve immediately.
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup pear preserves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- In a small bowl, stir mayonnaise, preserves, sage, salt, black pepper, and red pepper until smooth. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
For more seasonal fare, see “A Savory Autumn Repast” on page 79 of Autumn Bliss, available for purchase online.