Atop a flaky crust, Sausage, Kale, and Roasted Red Pepper Tart boasts a thick filling of eggs and fontina cheese brimming with vegetables—a hearty dish that delivers satisfying flavor in every bite.
- 1 (14.1-oz) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch cavolo nero*, stemmed and chopped
- ½ cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 2 cups shredded fontina cheese
- 6 large eggs
- ¾ cup half-and-half
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Spray a 10-inch deep-dish tart pan with removable bottom with baking spray with flour.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll piecrusts and stack one on top of the other. Roll crusts together into a 16-inch circle. Fit crusts into bottom and up sides of prepared pan. Line with parchment paper, and fill with pie weights. Bake for 20 minutes. Carefully remove parchment and pie weights; set aside to let cool slightly.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is browned and crumbly. Gradually stir in cavolo nero, cooking until wilted. Stir in roasted peppers.
- Spoon half of sausage mixture into prepared crust. Top with half of cheese; repeat layers.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half, and crushed pepper until combined. Pour over cheese in crust.
- Place tart pan on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until center is set, 45 to 60 minutes, covering tart with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Note: Crust may be baked up to 3 days before serving; sausage mixture may be cooked up to 3 days before assembly.
Photography Stephanie Welbourne Steele
Recipe Development and Food Rebecca Treadwell Spradling
For more recipes to celebrate Yuletide, see “A Festive Christmas Brunch” in the November/December issue, available on newsstands and at Victoriamag.com.