Rosemary Crumpet Sandwiches offer an herb-seasoned twist on the traditional English biscuit, which is cooked on a griddle then sliced and lightly toasted.
Rosemary Crumpet Sandwiches
- 2½ teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1¼ cups warm water (105º–115 º), divided
- 1 cup warm milk (105 º –115 º)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 (4-ounce) package goat cheese
- 36 spinach leaves
- 12 radishes, sliced
- 18 slices deli-sliced ham
- Garnish: whole-grain mustard
- In a large bowl, combine yeast and 1 cup warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes, then add warm milk, melted butter, sugar, and salt. Add flour and rosemary, and stir until batter is slightly elastic. Cover with a clean, moist kitchen towel, and let dough stand at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine baking soda and remaining ¼ cup warm water; stir mixture into batter. Re-cover, and let rise 20 to 30 minutes more.
- On an oiled griddle over medium-low heat, ladle approximately ¼ cup batter into greased 2½ -inch round stainless-steel rings. Cook until tops of crumpets look dry, about 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove crumpets from moulds. Flip crumpets, and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes more. Repeat with remaining batter; set crumpets aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 º.
- Slice crumpets in half horizontally, and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake until lightly toasted, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool.
- In a separate small bowl, beat cream cheese and goat cheese with a mixer at medium speed until smooth.
- To assemble, spread approximately 1 tablespoon cheese mixture onto bottom half of a crumpet. Top with 2 spinach leaves, 2 radish slices, a slice of ham, and top half of crumpet. Repeat with remaining crumpets and sandwich fillings. Garnish with whole-grain mustard, if desired. Serve immediately.
Continue the ode to Jane Austin by reading one of her most popular novels, Pride & Prejudice, our final Victoria Classics Book Club selection of 2019. Join as we discuss this romantic tale, and collect your copy of The Complete Novels of Jane Austen in our online shop.