Roasted Cauliflower and Artichoke Hummus, tinted a seasonal shade with a dash of turmeric, serves as the tempting centerpiece for an assortment of accompaniments, including fresh carrots and caramelized baby artichokes.
Roasted Cauliflower and Artichoke Hummus
Makes approximately 3 cups
- 4 cups fresh white cauliflower florets
- 1 (14-ounce) can whole artichoke hearts, drained, halved lengthwise, and patted dry
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 small clove garlic
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Assorted crackers, carrots, roasted baby artichokes*, and cauliflower
- Garnish: chickpeas, olive oil, ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine white cauliflower and artichoke hearts on prepared pan; toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 18 minutes, turning occasionally. Let cool completely.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, combine cauliflower mixture, chickpeas, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons water, garlic, red pepper, turmeric, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt; pulse until smooth. With processor running, pour remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil through food chute in a slow, steady stream until combined.
- Spoon into a serving bowl. Serve immediately with crackers, carrots, roasted artichokes, and cauliflower, or cover and let stand at room temperature for up to 2 hours*. Garnish with chickpeas, olive oil, and black pepper, if desired.
*Fresh baby artichokes can roast alongside cauliflower and canned artichokes to be served as an accompaniment to hummus. If not serving hummus immediately, stir 1 tablespoon olive oil or water into mixture, if needed, just before serving.
For more seasonal recipes, see “Enchanted Evening” in the October 2019 issue, available on newsstands and at Victoriamag.com.