Red Velvet Cake
Write a review
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (1-ounce) bottle red food coloring Cream-Cheese Frosting (see below)
- Preheat oven to 325 ̊. Lightly spray 3 (8-inch) round cake pans with nonstick spray with flour. Line each pan with a parchment round; spray again.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the eggs, oil, buttermilk, vinegar, and vanilla extract. Using an electric mixer at medium speed, beat batter until smooth, about 2 minutes. Evenly divide batter among prepared pans. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in pans. Remove cakes from pans, and cool completely on wire racks. Note: Do not frost cake until it is completely cool.
- Place 1 cake layer on a cake stand, and spread with about 1⁄4 of the Cream-Cheese Frosting. Top with second layer, and spread with 1⁄4 of the frosting. Top with third layer, and spread top and sides with remaining frosting.
Write a review
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, and using an electric mixer at medium speed, beat the cream cheese, butter, confection- ers’ sugar, and vanilla extract until creamy. Use immediately.