Worth savoring while stars twinkle above, Pumpkin–White Chocolate Hot Chocolate offers a sweet culmination to a delicious meal shared beneath a brilliant night sky.
Pumpkin–White Chocolate Hot Chocolate
Makes approximately 8 cups
- 2½ cups water, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin*
- 4 cups whole milk
- ⅔ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 4 (¼-inch) thick slices peeled fresh ginger
- 1 cup white chocolate chips*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish: pumpkin pie spice
- In the container of a blender, combine 2 cups water and pumpkin; process for 1 minute, stopping occasionally to scrape sides of container.
- In a large saucepan, combine pumpkin mixture, milk, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, ginger, and remaining ½ cup water, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently (do not boil). Reduce heat to low. Add white chocolate chips and vanilla extract, whisking until smooth. Using a slotted spoon, discard ginger.
- Ladle into serving mugs; top with marshmallows. Using a small kitchen torch, lightly toast marshmallows. Garnish with pumpkin pie spice, if desired.
*We used Libby’s Pumpkin, Ghirardelli Classic White Baking Chips, and Lake Champlain Chocolates Gourmet Vanilla Marshmallows.
For more seasonal recipes, see “Enchanted Evening” in the October 2019 issue, available on newsstands and at Victoriamag.com.