These Pumpkin Tarts with Salted Caramel Nuts are a decadent seasonal treat.
Pumpkin Tarts with Salted Caramel Nuts
Makes 12 (3-inch) tarts
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14.1-ounce) box refrigerated piecrusts
- Salted Caramel Mixed Nuts (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt, cloves, and allspice. Add eggs and evaporated milk, whisking until mixture is smooth.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll piecrusts. Roll dough into 2 (12-inch) circles. Using a 3½-inch round cutter, cut dough and press into bottoms and up sides of 12 (3-inch) round tart pans. Spoon pumpkin mixture into dough. Bake until centers are set, 25 to 35 minutes. Let cool completely on wire racks. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 2 days. Spoon Salted Caramel Mixed Nuts over tarts before serving.
Salted Caramel Mixed Nuts
Makes approximately 3 cups
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream, warmed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 (10.3-ounce) can salted mixed nuts
- In a large skillet, combine sugar, ¼ cup water, and corn syrup. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture is the color of dark honey. Quickly add butter, stirring until melted. Add cream and salt, stirring until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in nuts. Spoon mixture into a heatproof bowl, and let cool completely. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week. Rewarm mixture before using.
For more sweet finales to a Thanksgiving feast, see “A Sweet Taste of Thanksgiving Heritage” on page 35 of the November/December 2017 issue of Victoria.