Pumpkin Chai Pots De Créme
Write a review
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 10 egg yolks
- Garnish: fresh whipped cream, and crumbled pistachios
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Combine milk, pumpkin puree, sugar, light brown sugar, vanilla extract, ground cloves, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a small saucepan. Whisk to combine. Just as mixture begins to boil, remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks. Stir egg yolks into hot milk mixture a little at a time. Strain mixture.
- Evenly divide mixture among 12 (2-ounce) espresso cups. Place espresso cups into a large baking dish. Fill baking dish with enough water to come halfway up sides of espresso cups. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a dime-size portion in the center of each custard jiggles. Remove from oven, and cool in baking dish for 30 minutes.
- Remove cups from pan and wrap with plastic wrap, being careful not to let plastic touch the surface of custard. Cool in refrigerator for 4 hours before serving.
- Garnish with fresh whipped cream and crumbled pistachios, if desired.
From “A Sideboard of Sweet Temptations” in the January/February 2007 issue of Victoria magazine.