The sight of a beautifully adorned package causes hearts to flutter—especially when an artful bow offers the crowning detail. If you have ever admired the gifts showcased in our pages, let Victoria magazine’s stylist guide you in adding the finishing touch to a thoughtfully chosen and splendidly wrapped treasure.
- Using scissors, cut a length of ribbon to wrap around the package, trimming the ends at an angle. Wrap the package with ribbon, and tie at the top. Adjust the tails of ribbon so the finished sides face out, and set the package aside.
- Using scissors, trim the end of ribbon on the spool straight across; set aside.
- Using wire cutters, cut a piece of floral wire 4- to 6-inches long; set aside.
- Working from the spool, begin making your bow by grasping the end of the ribbon and rolling a small loop with the finished side out. This first loop will serve as the center of the bow.
- Holding this center loop in place with one hand, use the other hand to twist the ribbon so the finished side faces out. Holding the center loop taut, shape a slightly larger loop to one side of the center loop. Hold both loops taut with one hand. With the other hand, twist the ribbon so the finished side faces out, and shape a coordinating loop on the opposite side of the center loop.
- Continue twisting the ribbon and making loops, keeping in mind that an odd number of loops on each side of the center loop will generally be most pleasing to the eye.
- When your bow has reached the desired size, holding tightly to all the loops, cut the ribbon from the spool.
- To complete the bow, loop the floral wire through the center loop and around the tightly held loops. Hold the loops taut, and twist the wire to secure the bow.
- Using scissors, clip excess ribbon close to the center loop.
- Attach the bow to the top of your present by twisting the tails of floral wire around the length of ribbon already tied around the package. Using wire cutters, clip excess floral wire close to the center loop; carefully tuck the ends of wire into the folds of ribbon.
- Adjust loops and ribbons tails, as needed, and fluff the completed bow.
Text Melissa Lester
Photography Nicole Du Bois
Styling Melissa Sturdivant Smith
To explore some of our favorite gifts, including exclusive products and a library of signed books from featured authors, visit our online shop.