Poached Eggs over Frisée Salad with Roasted Tomatoes
Makes 4 servings
Write a review
- 1 (12-ounce) package cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 slices extra-thick bacon, cut into 1-inch portions
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sherry
- 1 cup champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 head frisée, trimmed
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan
- Poached Eggs (recipe follows)
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 450°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Toss tomatoes in olive oil, and place on prepared sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, or until slightly charred. Remove from oven, and cool.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp; remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings. Add shallots to drippings, and cook for approximately 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add sherry and vinegar, and continue cooking, whisking often, for approximately 10 minutes, or until reduced by one-third. Add butter, whisking to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide frisée among 4 salad plates.
- Before serving, whisk mixture to combine, and pour over frisée. Divide bacon and cheese among salads. Top each salad with a poached egg, cooled charred tomatoes, and croutons.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Add vinegar. Crack egg into a small cup. Place cup near surface of water, and gently pour egg into water. Use a small spoon to push white closer to yolk. Repeat with remaining eggs, maintaining water temperature at just below a simmer. Turn off heat; remove pan from heat. Cover, and allow eggs to cook for 8 minutes, or to desired degree of doneness. Using a slotted spoon, remove eggs from pan, 1 at a time, and place 1 egg on each frisée salad.