Invigorate the palate with crystallized confections chilled to perfection. Savor the juxtaposition of salty and sweet in our Pistachio-Cardamom Ice-Cream Sundae with Salted Caramel and Honeycomb Candy.
Pistachio-Cardamom Ice-Cream Sundae with Salted Caramel and Honeycomb Candy
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2 quarts Pistachio-Cardamom Ice Cream (recipe follows)
- 1 cup Salted Caramel Sauce (recipe follows)
- 15 pieces Honeycomb Candy (recipe follows)
- Garnish: chopped salted and roasted pistachios and fleur de sel
- Scoop Pistachio-Cardamom Ice Cream into serving dishes. Drizzle with Salted Caramel Sauce, and decorate with Honeycomb Candy. Garnish with pistachios and a light sprinkle of fleur de sel, if desired. Serve immediately.
Pistachio-Cardamom Ice Cream
Makes 2 quarts
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped salted and roasted pistachios
- ½ cup honey
- 4 cardamom pods
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped, seeds reserved
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 9 egg yolks
- In a medium saucepan, combine half-and-half, brown sugar, pistachios, honey, cardamom pods, vanilla bean, reserved vanilla seeds, and vanilla extract. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking often, until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks until smooth. Using a ladle, pour approximately 1 cup hot half-and-half mixture in a slow, steady stream into yolks, whisking constantly. Add another cup half-and-half mixture, whisking to combine. Transfer mixture back to pan,
- whisking to combine. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until temperature registers 170° on an instant-read thermometer or mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Using a slotted spoon, remove cardamom pods and vanilla bean.
- Pour mixture into a stainless-steel bowl set in an ice-water bath. Let cool completely, whisking often.
- In the work container of a blender, purée mixture in batches. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve* into the canister of an ice-cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer ice cream to a freezer-safe container. Freeze for at least 6 hours, or overnight, before serving. Ice cream can be stored, frozen, for up to 1 week.
*You may substitute cheesecloth for a fine-mesh sieve, if desired.
Salted Caramel Sauce
Makes approximately 1 cup
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- In a large skillet, combine sugar, water, and corn syrup. Simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until temperature registers 320° on an instant-read thermometer or mixture is honey-colored. Remove from heat, and whisk in cream until mixture is smooth.
- Whisk in butter and sea salt until smooth. Let cool to room temperature before using. Sauce can be stored, refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Makes 15 (3-inch) pieces
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, vanilla extract, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until temperature registers 340° on an instant-read thermometer or mixture is amber colored.
- Remove from heat. Quickly whisk in baking soda. Caution: Hot mixture will bubble vigorously. Once baking soda is incorporated, discontinue stirring. Pour mixture onto prepared baking sheet. (Do not attempt to spread.) Let candy cool until hardened. Break into pieces. Candy can be stored, at room temperature, in an airtight container for up to 1 week.