This Pink Velvet Cake with Vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream is a beautiful and toothsome dessert.
Pink Velvet Cake with Vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Makes 1 (6-inch) 3-layer cake
Write a review
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 drops red food coloring
- 23/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 4 cups Vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream (recipe follows)
- Garnish: edible cabbage roses, edible flowers, and raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Spray 3 (6-inch) cake pans with baking spray with flour. Line pans with parchment paper; spray again, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine butter and sugar. Using a mixer at medium-high speed, beat until creamy, about
- 3 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla extract and food coloring, and beat to combine.
- In a separate small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour, in
- 3 additions. Divide batter among prepared pans, smoothing tops. Bake for
- 20 to 25 minutes, or until a tester inserted near centers comes out clean. Let cakes cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes; invert on wire rack to cool completely.
- Spread Vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with edible cabbage roses, edible flowers, and raspberries, if desired.
Vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Makes 5 cups
Write a review
- 5 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine egg whites and sugar. Using a mixer at medium speed, whisk together. Set bowl over a pan of simmering water. Whisk constantly until mixture registers 140° on an instant-read candy thermometer. Remove mixture from heat. Using a mixer fitted with a whip attachment, beat at high speed for 10 minutes, or until mixing bowl is cool to the touch and meringue is tripled in volume.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Add butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla extract, and beat to combine. Using mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat mixture at medium-high speed for 2 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Use immediately.