Makes 12 to 16
Write a review
- ¾ cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 3 cups sugar
- ¾ cup light corn syrup
- ¾ cup hot water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 tablespoons finely ground peppermint candies
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Line a 13x9-inch baking pan with parchment paper, allowing excess to hang over sides.
- In a small bowl, place cold water. Sprinkle gelatin over water; let stand for 5 minutes to soften.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, hot water, and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Continue cooking, without stirring, until mixture registers 240˚ (soft-ball stage) on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat; add gelatin mixture, whisking to combine.
- Meanwhile, in the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, begin beating egg whites on medium-high speed once sugar mixture registers about 200°. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. With mixer running, slowly add sugar-gelatin mixture in a steady
- stream. Add vanilla extract, peppermint extract, and candy, and beat until stiff and glossy, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer marshmallow mixture to prepared pan, and spread evenly. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, and refrigerate for 8 hours, or overnight. Using parchment paper, remove from pan. Cut into squares or desired shapes. Store at room temperature for up to 5 days.