Pan-Seared Wild Mushrooms
Write a review
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces chanterelle mushrooms, cleaned, stems trimmed (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 8 ounces oyster mushrooms, cleaned, stems trimmed (about 2 cups)
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, cleaned, stems trimmed, and roughly chopped (about 2 cups)
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil; when butter stops foaming, add chanterelle mushrooms. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer chanterelles to a rimmed baking sheet, and cover with aluminum foil; set aside. Using remaining butter, olive oil, salt, and pepper, repeat process with oyster mushrooms, then with cremini mushrooms.
- When cremini mushrooms are cooked, add cooked chanterelles and oyster mushrooms back into the pan, and toss to heat through. Serve immediately.
- *Do not clean mushrooms under running water, which causes the texture of the cooked mushrooms to become rubbery. Instead, wipe mushrooms clean with a damp kitchen towel or paper towel.