Makes 2 to 3 dozen meringues
Write a review
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped, seeds reserved
- Preheat oven to 200°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In the work bowl of a stand mixer, combine egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar. Place bowl over a pan of simmering water. Whisk constantly until mixture reaches 140° on an instant-read thermometer.
- Return bowl to stand mixer. Add orange zest and vanilla seeds. Beat mixture at high speed for 10 minutes, or until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Place mixture in a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe 2- to 21/2-inch rosettes at least 1 inch apart onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 1 hour; turn off oven, and allow meringues to cool for 2 hours. Store, covered, at room temperature for up to 5 days. Meringues can be frozen, covered tightly, for up to 3 months.