Treat guests to individually portioned, ethereal creations made with airy meringue. Topped with fromage blanc and raspberry-pomegranate jam, the dessert is enhanced with sprigs of mint, fresh raspberries, pomegranate arils, and edible flowers.
Makes approximately 6 Pavlovas
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 5 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup prepared fromage blanc
- ½ cup raspberry-pomegranate preserves*
- Garnish: fresh raspberries, fresh pomegranate arils, fresh mint, and edible flowers
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar and cornstarch.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer set over a pan of simmering water, combine egg whites, vanilla extract, salt, and sugar mixture. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture reaches 140˚ on a candy thermometer.
- Preheat oven to 200˚.
- Remove bowl from heat, and place on stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat mixture on high speed for 8 to 10 minutes, or until stiff and glossy. Spoon mixture onto prepared baking sheet in 4- to 5-inch mounds, making a well in the center of each. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Turn off oven, and leave Pavlovas in oven overnight.
- Divide fromage blanc and preserves among Pavlovas. Garnish with raspberries, pomegranate arils, mint, and edible flowers, if desired. Serve immediately.
*For testing purposes, our test kitchen used St. Dalfour Red Raspberry & Pomegranate fruit conserve.
For more enticing delights, see “Blissful Berry Confections” on page 31 in the January/February 2015 issue.