Light Chocolate Swirl Pavlova shelters a decadent pool of chocolate mousse and a trio of luscious toppings, including Amarena cherries, chocolate shavings, and drizzles of cherry syrup.
Light Chocolate Swirl Pavlova
Makes 1 (8-inch) Pavlova
- 1 (4-ounce) 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate bar, chopped
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Chocolate Mousse (recipe follows)
- Garnish: Amarena cherries in syrup, chocolate shavings
- Preheat oven to 275°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw an 8-inch circle on parchment; turn parchment over.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat chocolate on medium in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites, cornstarch, and cream of tartar at medium speed until foamy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and mixture is thick and shiny, 10 to 14 minutes.
- Use two large spoons to transfer dollops of meringue to perimeter of traced circle on prepared pan. Pile meringue 2 inches high. Fill well with an approximately 1- to 1½-inches thick layer of meringue, and use back of spoon to lightly smooth.
- Pour melted chocolate into a pastry bag, and use scissors to cut a small hole in the tip. Pipe dime-sized dots of chocolate around outside perimeter of meringue. Using back of spoon, gently swirl chocolate into meringue. Do not overwork meringue.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Turn off oven and leave merinuge in oven with door closed overnight.
- Before serving, gently run a paring knife around edges of Pavlova to release from parchment. Carefully slide an offset spatula under Pavlova, and transfer to a serving dish. Fill with Chocolate Mousse. Garnish with Amarena cherries, drizzles of cherry syrup, and chocolate shavings, if desired. Serve immediately.
Makes 1½ cups
- ¾ cup plus 2 teaspoons heavy whipping cream, divided
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 (4-ounce) 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate bar, finely chopped
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- In a small saucepan, heat ¼ cup plus 1 teaspoon cream and 1 teaspoon sugar over medium heat until hot.
- Place chocolate in a medium bowl. Strain hot cream mixture through a fine-mesh sieve over chocolate; let stand for 30 seconds. Whisk until a smooth and shiny ganache forms.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together egg yolk and remaining 1 teaspoon sugar. Whisking constantly, slowly pour ganache into yolk mixture.
- Transfer ganache mixture to saucepan, and cook, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, until a candy thermometer registers 180°.
- In a large bowl, beat remaining ½ cup plus 1 teaspoon cream with a mixer at medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Fold whipped cream into ganache mixture until combined.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 days.