Baked in individual portions, Honey Spiced Clementine Cakes dazzle with sliced fruit that caramelizes during the baking process for a mouthwatering dessert perfect with a favorite holiday beverage.
Honey Spiced Clementine Cakes
Makes 6 cakes
- 6 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 clementine, peeled and sliced into ¼-inch-thick rounds
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup orange blossom honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- Garnish: orange blossom honey
- Preheat oven to 350°. Butter and flour 6 muffin wells, popover wells, or ramekins.
- For topping: Place 1 teaspoon brown sugar in bottom of each well. Top each with 1 clementine round.
- For cake: In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar at medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add honey, and beat until combined; add egg, beating just until combined. Stir in vanilla extract.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and allspice. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Spoon batter into wells.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Garnish with additional honey, if desired.
For more fruity recipes to spice up your holiday season, see “Cranberries & Clementines” in the November/December 2019 issue, available on newsstands and at Victoriamag.com.