Dessert dazzles with a balanced pairing of refreshingly tart Lemon Sorbet and crisp, subtly sweet Greek Lemon Butter Cookies.
Greek Lemon Butter Cookies
Makes approximately 36
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, beat butter and oil with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add sugar and lemon zest, and beat at medium-high speed until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until mixture is smooth. Cover and refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough into approximately 36 (5x.25-inch) ropes. Fold each rope in half lengthwise, and twist ends together. Place 1 inch apart on prepared pans.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks and 1 tablespoon water. Brush mixture over cookies, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake until edges of cookies are golden brown, about 12 minutes. Let cool on pans for 2 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
For more seaside recipes, see “A Fête by the Shore” in the July/August 2018 issue, available in the online shop at Victoriamag.com.