Grapefruit Pâtes de Fruit
Write a review
- 4 cups fresh, strained grapefruit juice
- 2 3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 (.25-ounce) envelopes powdered gelatin
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup water
- Sugar, for coating
- Line an 8×8-inch pan with plastic wrap; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine grapefruit juice, 3/4 cup sugar, and honey. Bring mixture to a boil, and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture registers 113° on an instant-read thermometer. In a small bowl, combine remaining 2 cups sugar, gelatin, and cream of tartar. Add sugar-gelatin mixture and water to the saucepan.
- Simmer, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches 200°. Decrease heat to medium, so that mixture stays at 200° for 2 to 3 minutes. Increase heat until mixture reaches 223°, and keep mixture at that temperature for 2 to 3 minutes, decreasing the heat as necessary.
- Remove pan from heat, and cool for 10 minutes. Pour mixture into the prepared pan, and refrigerate for 8 hours. Cut into 60 (1-inch) cubes with a sharp knife. Store pâtes de fruit in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Roll the candies in sugar to coat just before serving.