Fresh-baked, buttery Garlic Knots reach perfection sprinkled with Parmesan and parsley. Serve these savory bites as part of a hearthside feast fit for the season.
Makes 14 rolls
- ¼ cup warm water (105º to 110º)
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, divided
- 3¼ cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- ¾ teaspoon garlic salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Garnish: chopped parsley
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine ¼ cup warm water and yeast. Let stand until mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, heat sour cream, butter, sugar, and salt over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until butter is melted. Let mixture cool to 110º, 5 to 10 minutes. Add 1 egg, whisking to combine. Add sour cream mixture to yeast mixture, whisking until combined.
- Add flour and beat at low speed until well combined, about 1 minute. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75º) until almost doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide dough into 14 pieces. With lightly floured hands, working with 1 piece at a time (keep remaining dough covered to prevent it from drying out), roll each piece into a 14-inch-long rope. Tie a loose knot toward one end of the rope, leaving about 2 inches on the short side of the dough. Wrap the long end twice around the loop, and the short end once. Pinch two ends together at center. Place on prepared pans. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75º) until doubled in size, about 45 minutes. (Alternatively, cover tightly and refrigerate overnight. When ready to bake, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.)
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining egg and 1 tablespoon water.
- In a separate small bowl, stir together ¼ cup Parmesan and ¼ teaspoon garlic salt. Using a pastry brush, brush rolls with egg wash, and evenly sprinkle with Parmesan mixture.
- Bake until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 190º, 10 to 11 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together melted butter and remaining ½ teaspoon garlic salt. Brush hot rolls with melted butter, and sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup Parmesan. Garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.