Deeply caramelized dried figs pair with creamy goat cheese to create undeniably delicious scones with flawless texture. Each scone is bejeweled with chewy Valley Fig Growers’ California Figs and studded with toasted walnuts, taking the sweet and savory experience to the next level. The secret to the perfect crumb? Figs, dried at their prime, add intense fruitiness to scones without incorporating the variable moisture of fresh fruit. This leads to light and fluffy scones that are picture-perfect every time. The thyme-infused glaze gently drizzled on top of each scone creates a dreamy finishing touch.
Located in the fertile San Joaquin Valley, Valley Fig Growers’ grower-owned cooperative has been packing delicious, nutritious California Figs since 1959. The best figs come from California, where fertile soil, hot and dry summers, and cool and wet winters produce delicious fruit with a high nutritional content. Valley Fig Growers’ California dried figs are always GMO-free and grown and processed in California, making you reach for these dried figs again and again.
Find Valley Fig Growers California dried Mission and Golden Figs in your favorite stores under the brands Orchard Choice and Sun-Maid or online, where you can also find their commercial fig ingredients available under the Blue Ribbon brand.
Don’t miss our giveaway with Valley Fig on Instagram! We’re giving away a prize pack that will have you baking these sweet and savory scones just in “thyme” for spring! The giveaway closes on April 3, 2021.
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons (36 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) baking powder
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons (70 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 6 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- ¾ cup (96 grams) chopped Orchard Choice and Sun-Maid California Figs
- ½ cup (57 grams) chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 cup plus 1 teaspoon heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 large egg
- Thyme Syrup:
- ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Thyme Glaze:
- ½ cup (60 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons Thyme Syrup
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray an 8-inch round cake pan with baking spray with flour. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- For scones: In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, sugar, thyme, baking powder, and salt; pulse until combined. Add cold butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly.
- Transfer dough to a large bowl, and fold in goat cheese, figs, walnuts, and 1 cup cream, stirring until combined. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly, just until dough comes together. Press dough into prepared cake pan. Turn out, and using a sharp knife or bench scraper, cut into 8 wedges. Transfer wedges to prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and remaining 1 teaspoon cream. Brush tops of scones with egg wash, and bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- For thyme syrup: In a small saucepan, bring sugar, ¼ cup water, and thyme to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool completely. Remove and discard thyme sprigs.
- For thyme glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and Thyme Syrup until smooth. Drizzle over warm scones.
Full giveaway details here.