Fig and Kumquat Scones, a delectable teatime treat, offer an intriguing balance of flavors.
Fig and Kumquat Scones
Author: Adapted from a recipe served at Swiss Woods Bed & Breakfast
Makes 10 large scones
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, cold, cut into pieces
- ½ cup dried figs coarsely chopped
- ½ cup fresh kumquats, chopped, any seeds removed
- ½ cup half-and-half
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400°. Like a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, measure flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add figs and kumquats; toss until well distributed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together half-and-half and eggs. Reserve 2 tablespoons to brush on tops.
- Pour remaining half-and-half mixture into flour-butter mixture. Using a fork, gently mix just until you can pull mixture together into a cohesive, somewhat sticky dough. If too dry, add cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough comes together.
- Using a spring-loaded ice cream scoop, scoop dough onto prepared pan. Brush tops with reserved egg mixture.
- Bake until browned and a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 15 to 18 minutes. Serve warm.
Explore Swiss Woods Bed & Breakfast, along with other sites in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, in “The Allure of the Simple Life” in the October 2019 issue of Victoria magazine, available on newsstands and in our online store.