Orange Chocolate Caramel Tart
Makes 1 (10-inch) tart
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup finely ground toasted almonds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- ¼ cup ice-cold water
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, melted
- 3 cups Orange-Scented Mousse (recipe follows)
- Caramel Orange Slices (recipe follows)
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse flour, sugar, almonds, and salt until well blended, about 30 seconds. Add butter, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With processor running, slowly pour ¼ cup ice-cold water through food chute in a slow, steady stream until combined. Pulse until dough comes together, adding more water by teaspoonfuls, if necessary.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and shape into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Preheat oven to 350°.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a ⅛-inch thickness. Brush off excess flour. Transfer to a 10-inch tart pan, pressing into bottom and up sides. Trim any excess. With a fork, prick bottom and sides of dough.
- Bake until crust is golden brown on the bottom and around the edges, 18 to 24 minutes. Let cool.
- Pour melted chocolate into bottom of crust, and refrigerate until firm. Spoon Orange-Scented Mousse into crust, and refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours. Top with Caramel Orange Slices, and serve immediately.
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1½ cups light corn syrup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 egg yolks
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (.25-ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- ¼ cup water
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 cup cream, corn syrup, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and butter to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Add 1 cup cream, stirring to combine. Cook without stirring until cream mixture turns golden brown, 13 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add orange zest, orange juice, and vanilla extract, stirring to combine. Let cool until nearly room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and salt with a mixer at medium-high speed until light in color.
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, sprinkle gelatin over ¼ cup water. Let stand for 10 minutes. Microwave mixture on high at 15-second intervals until melted.
- Add gelatin mixture to egg yolk mixture, and beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until mixture triples in volume and cools to room temperature, 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, beat remaining 2 cups cream at medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Gently fold whipped cream into egg yolk mixture until blended. Fold in 1 cup prepared caramel, reserving remaining caramel for another use.
Caramel Orange Slices
- 2 navel oranges, sliced ⅛ to ¼ inch thick
- 4 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, and place a wire rack on top; spray rack with cooking spray.
- Arrange orange slices in a single layer, ½ inch apart, on rack.
- In a large saucepan, bring sugar, 3 cups water, and corn syrup to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until sugar is dissolved and temperature registers 325° on a candy thermometer, 13 to 15 minutes. Slowly pour caramel over oranges. Let cool until hardened.
- Using a knife, carefully remove oranges from rack. Refrigerate, in a single layer, in an airtight container. Use within a few hours, as fresh oranges will weep.