Espresso and Amaretti Semifreddo
Write a review
- 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 6 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons brewed espresso
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup crumbled amaretti cookies
- 1/2 cup cocoa nibs
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1 tablespoon water, and let soften 5 minutes. In a separate bowl and using a mixer at high speed, beat cream until soft peaks form; cover and chill.
- In a small, heavy-bottom saucepan, whisk together espresso, sugar, salt, and remaining water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. Continue to boil until mixture registers 240° on an instant-read candy thermometer, about 10 minutes. Add gelatin mixture to espresso mixture, and whisk to dissolve.
- In a medium bowl and using a mixer at high speed, beat egg yolks until thick and pale, about 4 minutes. Reduce speed to medium; add espresso mixture in a slow, steady stream, and continue to beat until pale, thick, and cooled completely, about 3 minutes.
- Fold one-third of whipped cream mixture into egg mixture until just combined. Gently add remaining cream, amaretti cookies, and cocoa nibs.
- Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours. Spoon into small dessert dishes, and serve immediately.