Portions of lime and honeydew give a tantalizing preview to the mild fruity notes underscored in Cucumber, Basil and Mint Sangría Blanco. The chilled beverage is made with white Vinho Verde, wine that hails from the historic Minho province of Portugal.
Cucumber, Basil and Mint Sangría Blanco
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- 3 limes, thinly sliced, divided
- 2 (750-ml) bottles white Vinho Verde*, chilled
- ½ seedless cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cubed honeydew
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, ½ cup water, and 1 sliced lime. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, and let stand for 30 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, discarding solids. Refrigerate in an airtight container for at least 2 hours or up to 2 weeks.
- In a large pitcher, combine chilled simple syrup, wine, cucumber, remaining 2 sliced limes, honeydew, mint leaves, and basil leaves. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
*Vinho Verde hails from the historic Minho province of Portugal and includes red, white, and rosé wines.
For more verdant recipes, see “Herb Lovers’ Garden” in the July/August 2019 issue, available at Victoriamag.com.