Week 8: Question  

RSS
(@admin)
Member Admin

Jane Austen takes readers on a roller coaster ride along with Elizabeth and Darcy, making us wonder if Elizabeth is ever going to recognize her true feelings for him. At what point in the novel do you think Elizabeth’s opinion of Mr. Darcy begins to soften?

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago by Victoria Classics
Posted : 18/11/2019 11:11 am
 Donna
(@Donna)

I believe it begins to soften when she learns that Mr. Darcy was responsible for her sister marrying Mr.Wickhym. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/11/2019 2:08 pm
 Marilyn
(@Marilyn)

I think Elizabeth will realize her feelings for Darcy near the end of the book. Most romance novels have the couple uniting near the end. It makes for a lasting impression on the reader.

Marilyn

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/11/2019 5:58 pm
 Christine Shih
(@Christine Shih)

I think her feelings for Mr. Darcy really began to develop when he wrote her that letter of explanation about himself and his relationship to Mr. Wickham. He took a labored effort to clear the air between them, thus removing her misunderstandings and unfair judgement of him. The letter had the effect of the delete and refresh buttons on a computer. The letter made way for truth and understanding, and this was very satisfying to Elizabeth’s character. With that letter, Mr. Darcy gave himself the second chance he needed to begin a beautiful relationship with Elizabeth. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/11/2019 6:21 pm
 Connie Hanson
(@Connie Hanson)

@Christine Shih

I was about to write exactly what you did. The letter gave her a totally different perspective of him and even though he felt her sister didn’t care for his friend, I think she knew how her sister was so shy she would come across as not caring. Also she was thankful that he gave her the truth about Wickham. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/11/2019 8:51 am
 Jan
(@Jan)

I agree with the ladies above. It seemed as if Darcy's letter had a softening effect and her heart began to turn as she evaluated his true character, as well as her own.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/11/2019 12:04 am

Leave a reply

Preview 0 Revisions Saved