Cherries, Plums, Nectarines, and Beets with Pink-Peppercorn-Citrus Syrup
Makes 6 servings
Write a review
- 1 cup cherry halves, pitted
- 2 plums, pitted and cut into eighths
- 2 nectarines, pitted and cut into eighths
- 2 small pink beets, sliced thin
- 2 small radishes, sliced thin
- Pink-Peppercorn-Citrus Syrup, divided (recipe follows)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pink pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ cups watercress
- Garnish: fresh edible flowers and sliced toasted almonds
- 2 cups sugar
- 1½ cups water
- 2 lemons, peeled, peels reserved
- 1 tablespoon crushed pink peppercorns
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- In a large bowl, combine cherries, plums, nectarines, beets, radishes, and half of Pink-Peppercorn-Citrus Syrup. Toss gently to coat each piece. Season fruit with salt, pink pepper, and black pepper.
- Divide fruit mixture and watercress among serving plates. Garnish with edible flowers and sliced almonds, if desired. Serve with remaining syrup.
- In a small saucepan over high heat, combine sugar and water. Add reserved lemon peels, reserving remainder of fruit for another purpose. Add peppercorns, vanilla bean, and reserved seeds. Bring mixture to a boil to dissolve sugar, whisking often. Reduce heat to medium. Continue to simmer, stirring often, about 10 minutes, until thickened.
- Remove from heat, and let cool completely. Syrup can be stored, refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks. Strain when serving.