Take carrots from savory to sweet with our easy-to-prepare Carrot-and-Hazelnut Scones.
Makes 8 scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup carrot, finely shredded, and strained
- ⅓ cup hazelnuts, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon coarse sanding sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, carrot, and hazelnuts. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Form a well in center of dough, and add buttermilk. Stir dough until it clings together and is sticky.
- On a lightly floured work surface, flatten dough into an 8-inch circle about 11/2 inches thick. Cut dough into 8 wedges. Place scones on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops with beaten egg, and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes; remove to a wire rack, and let cool completely. Scones can be stored, covered, at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Get more garden fresh carrot recipes by reading “Carrot Weight” on page 35 of the March/April 2013 issue of Victoria.