Write a review
- 1/2 pound softened unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups light brown sugar
- 5 large eggs at room temperature
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 medium overripe banana, mashed
- 1 recipe White Chocolate Frosting (see below)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 12-well muffin pan with paper liners; set aside.
- In a large bowl and using an electric mixer at medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add chocolate and vanilla extract, and mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and nuts. Alternately add flour mixture and mashed banana to chocolate mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups; bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Top with White Chocolate Frosting.
White Chocolate Frosting
Write a review
- 1 cup softened unsalted butter
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 7 ounces good-quality white chocolate, melted and cooled
- 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract*
- In a large bowl, and using an electric mixer at medium-high speed, beat butter, confectioners’ sugar, and salt together for 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add white chocolate, cream, and vanilla extract. Beat at high speed for 5 to 6 minutes, periodically scraping down sides of bowl, until smooth and thick.
- *Clear vanilla extract will keep the icing pure white. It is available at some supermarkets and most crafts and cake-decorating shops, or online at wilton.com. Regular vanilla extract may be substituted for a slightly off-white frosting.