Brown Sugar Caramel Apple Pie
Makes 1(9-inch) deep-dish pie
Write a review
- 2⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup ice water, strained
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1½ teaspoons apple pie spice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 6 cups sliced peeled apples, such as Gala or Fuji (approximately 2½ pounds)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Sparkling sugar
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- For crust: In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, granulated sugar, and salt. Add butter, pulsing until mixture is crumbly. With processor running, pour vinegar and ¼ cup ice water through food chute in a slow, steady stream just until dough comes together.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, divide in half, and shape into two disks. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days. Remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before using if dough has been stored overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 disk to a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate, pressing into bottom and up sides. Fold edges under, and crimp, if desired.
- For filling: In a large bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch, apple pie spice, and salt. Add apples and lemon juice to sugar mixture, and toss. Spoon into crust.
- For egg wash: In a small bowl, whisk egg and 1 tablespoon water.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out remaining dough to ⅛-inch thickness. Using small cookie cutters, cut out leaf shapes; place on top of pie. Brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and apples are tender, 45 minutes, loosely covering with foil during last 10 minutes to prevent excess browning. Serve warm.